As part of the Prison Service initiative to reduce suicide and self harm in custody, BJP was appointed to advise the “Safer Custody Group” on the engineering services aspects.
Working with the Senior Home Office Team, BJP developed solutions to ligature and self harm risks, undertook feasibility studies in a number of Establishments and then supervised pilot studies to prove the measures.
Our work on this Project included:
- Review and investigation of existing in-cell environmental conditions and services, including lighting, heating, ventilation etc.
- Safer cell heating solutions including measures to treat existing exposed pipe heating installations
- Development and destructive testing of alternative cell lighting solutions
- Design of improved cell ventilation solutions for existing cells
- Development of integrated cell services containment systems
- Evaluation of life signs monitoring systems
- Investigations into television installations including special enclosures
- Provision of auditable cell call systems
- Investigations, including performance testing of in-cell sprinklers and automatic fire detection
Feasibility studies into on-line information systems for inmates